Tuesday, August 07, 2007

It's About Time I Made Another Post

No new posts since May. Hmmm, not doing too well as a blogger, am I? I guess I just ain't one of those folks who can commit themselves to having deep philosophical revelations on a daily basis. It seems the only time I get on here to say something, I end up complaining about something...and I'm sure you folks don't get a big lift from hearing about my problems.

So here I am again, rattling my cage and complaining about how life really stinks right now. I know I should be grateful just to be here, able to see, feel, taste, and enjoy life. It's not like I'm homeless (at least yet), suffering from some incurable disease, or starving to death like so many others. It makes me feel guilty to complain about these little bumps in the road that I'm experiencing...but they're MY bumps, I feel them, and they don't feel nice.

Here's some updates on the whole family and things in general so you have some kind of idea where I'm coming from:

Me
Today was my first day of unemployment in about 12 years. Yesterday was the last day of the summer term and the school has decided to change the format of the class I was teaching from a 3 term/900 hour course to three separate 300 hour courses on the different topics I was teaching. Plus they're moving it from day classes to night classes. The changes technically make it an entirely different class, so they have to start over from ground-zero, which means open interviews for instructors, etc. In the middle of this they have also been moving their classrooms from the old building to a new one...which is still in the final stages of construction. All of this means at least a month (probably 2 months) of no paycheck for me and the possibility that I might not be rehired. I've sent out a few resumés over the last month or so and had one interview, but no solid job prospects at the present time. I did submit a claim for unemployment benefits today, so hopefully I'll have a little income anyway.

My Wife
The wife is now working part time at the new Mal-Wart. Not the greatest pay scale in the world, but it's a job. It's easier than teaching school but a lot harder on her feet since she has to stand all day. The job physically wears her out to the point that about all she does is sleep when she's not on the job. Add to this that she just was informed that she gets an unpaid week off during fair week since, historically, their business drops dramatically during that period. So around the end of August there's going to be a big drop in our combined income for a while. Since many of our bills are already a month or or more overdue, I'm not looking forward to the notices and threatening calls from bill collectors that I know will eventually be coming in.


Son # 1
My oldest son just got word from the school that he taught at last year that they aren't rehiring him for this school year. They waited until late July to inform him of this, so all of the schools that were hiring have already done interviews. Thanks, board of education. He's sent out resumés also but, like his old man, hasn't had many nibbles. There's a good chance that he may have to move in with his mother-in-law or us, since I don't think he'll be able to afford the rent on the house where he's been living.

Daughter and #2 Son
These two are the only bright spots so far. my younger son's new job is going well and his employer seems to be happy with his work. There's been a hint of a possible promotion in a year or two to a significantly better paying position if he sticks with it. He misses being around family and friends, however, and longs to return to southern Ohio. My daughter is doing well academically and just turned 18. She doesn't say much about her personal life and feelings, but she seems to be happy; although a little bit bored by having to live with a couple of old geezers for at least another year. Her summer scholarship program appears to have been a blast and she's looking forward to being able to go to college next year. I just hope she can find a full-ride scholarship somewhere, because it doesn't look like we'll be able to afford tuition any time soon.

Other relatives
Mom fell and broke her arm and is still recovering from that. At 78 years old that's a serious thing to have happen but, considering her severe heart problems, she is doing pretty well. Dad is doing alright, but taking care of my mother puts a lot of stress on him as well. My wife's sister is still having problems with her legs, but has improved significantly over the past few months to the point that she can sometimes get around without a walker now. Her brother is being sued for medical expenses by a guy who was speeding in a blind curve and ran into him as he was pulling out of his driveway. Clearly the other guy's fault, but technically my brother-in-law was cited for the accident and therefore liable.

Well, enough about my problems, how's life treating you? Praise the Lord that I don't have cancer or whatever. I know things could be a lot worse...but when does the uphill part of this roller coaster ride I'm on begin?

Know of anybody hiring computer repairmen or teachers? I know where they can find some really good ones. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al,
I found your blog as I was searching the Sunshine blog. I'm so sorry to hear about your job situation. You and your family will definatley be in my prayers.
My husband has had over 10 jobs in our 18 years of marriage. When we are going through one of these transitions, I tend to get very anxious. I find it helpful to post scriptures around the house that will help me keep my eyes on the cross. Some of the scriptures that are in my house include; 1Peter 5:7, Romans 15:13, Proverbs 3;5 and Philipians 4:6-7.
Sincerely,
Dianne Mason-Clemens

Jennifer said...

Dianne, it was very sweet of you to post such encouraging words for Al! I'm positive God sent you straight here at just the right time.

Al, I will keep my eyes and ears open for anything you could do job wise. It's always good to read your blog posts, no matter how sad you think they are. Part of dealing with bad stuff is being able to talk about them with friends. You've got one here. ;)

Jennifer

Grampy said...

Thank you both for your comments and support.
A little update...I've been advised that I'm not eligible for unemployment benefits, they're treating it as a teacher "between terms," which isn't really the case. I've been let go and need to go through the whole interview/hiring process again for the new class. I've contested the ruling, but haven't heard anything back yet.
They advertised the new instructor position in Sunday's Daily Times, so I dropped my resume in the mail Monday afternoon. Hopefully I'll get the new job which is scheduled to begin Sept. 7th.

I'm also continuing to look for full-time work elsewhere. Since the new teaching position is for evening classes, if I get it I might be able to still work a day job as well. That might help me dig my way out of the financial hole I'm currently in :)

Your continued prayers would definitely be appreciated.

aaronkallner said...

Jodi and I will continue to pray for you and your family.


Aaron