Thursday, December 29, 2005

Random Ramblings

Sitting in the kitchen again, this time on my own (or should I say my wife's) laptop. The new hard drive arrived on Tuesday afternoon and I spent that evening and most of yesterday installing it and getting Windows XP with all of the update patches and hardware drivers reinstalled.

I've been playing around with some software today and keep running into things that still need to be installed...I didn't realize there were so many different programs that I used without thinking about them. I do a lot of photo editing and work with sound files, so Paintshop Pro and Sonic Foundry were a couple of the first things I installed right after the full MS Office suite and Filezilla. But there are so many other little things that run in the background that you tend to forget about. Things like Adobe Reader and Flash plus a bunch of video codecs and assorted support goodies.

No earth shaking spiritual insights today. I suppose I could come up with some sort of allegory about the people who work behind the scenes and how we forget about them to parallel my experiences with software installation, but I'm too zoned out right now to make too many relevant comments on that.

I ran across a blog this morning by a fellow Christian who edits the weekly bulletin for a mega-church. He was complaining about some problems he ran into with the color copy machine they use. A lot of it was familiar to me, I suffer similar things on a smaller scale fairly often. I found myself a bit envious that they had a color copier...slap myself on the wrist...shame, shame, shame. He produces a little over 1000 bulletins a week, 5 times the number we use. Their church also has two separate services to accommodate the large number of members. An interesting blog.

I'm sitting here thinking about going downtown and picking up the new listings for job openings at the local hospital. Don't know how many of you have heard, but my job with the school will probably be terminated at the end of this school year according to the superintendent. I've been trying to keep an eye open for employment possibilities of a similar nature, so if any of you know of an employer looking for a good computer technician, steer them my way.

Well, that's it for this morning...I'll see if I can come up with something a little more inspiring for my next post.

No comments: