Monday, November 03, 2014

If I Were a Carpenter...

Whether or not I'm a carpenter, I guess I get to play one today.

We have a variable number of feral cats that hang around, mainly due to the fact that my brother-in-law feeds them. He goes through about 90 pounds of dry cat food a month. He's also feeding a number of raccoons and possums as well, but that's beside the point. One of the cats found it's way into the ceiling over our bathroom and dropped a litter of kittens a few weeks ago. We heard something moving around but were not able to identify what it might be until last night. One of the kittens has apparently fallen down into the wall and can't get out. Now there's a continuous pitiful "meow-meow-meow-meow" coming from somewhere in the wall.

I've got the battery from my cordless drill charging and a saber saw standing by to tear into the wall later this morning and try to attempt a rescue. I'll update later to let you know how things went.

On the medical front, I had another bout of bradycardia last week. That's slow heart rate for those of you that don't speak doctor. I was sitting at my computer reading my email when the room started spinning and my vision sort of went haywire for a couple of seconds. I snapped out of it, but grabbed my blood pressure monitor to check myself. My BP was way down from normal and my pulse was about half of what it normally is. I continued to check myself every few minutes for about half an hour and the readings continued downward slightly. When the BP got to 103/40 I decided it was time to go to urgent care. I called my son, who was thankfully off work that day, and had him drive me down.

After about an hour at urgent care, my vital signs were starting to get back to normal, but they wanted me to go to the emergency room at the local hospital anyway. So we drove there and eventually they decided to put me in the hospital overnight for observation. It was a typical stay in the hospital except they didn't make me put on a butt-revealing gown. Everything went well and my vitals remained normal through the night. I was discharged around 11 AM the next day. My cardiologist made another adjustment to my medications and I've been keeping in touch with with my out-of-town doctors about the situation.

I'm not sure how the cancer treatments are progressing, I feel okay and apart from the usual aches and pains, I still haven't experienced any severe side effects. I've been visiting a chiropractor for my back and groin pain and have achieved some relief, although it still hurts to walk and move around much. I see the oncologist and the kidney specialist again in two weeks plus there's an upcoming CT scan in a month or so. Hopefully the scan will bring some good news.

That's about it for now, gotta go pick up my granddaughter and take her to school.

UPDATE - 2 hours later

Minimal damage to the wall.

Meet the latest addition to the family, appropriately named "Wally."

No comments: