Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Car Trouble

I made a trip into town this afternoon to pick up groceries and a couple of prescription refills. I don't expect to do any more driving for about 32 hours. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that my car doesn't look like the picture at the left on Thursday.

I noticed my car making a rhythmic scraping sound a couple of weeks ago when I went up to see Dr. Whoosh's CNP. I called the auto service shop for an appointment the next day but they couldn't it get in until this coming Thursday morning.

Even though I'm retired, I still have to get out and about. Taking my granddaughter to school, doctor appointments, picking up groceries, etc. I've been very nervous about getting out and driving with it making this noise. It's getting louder and has started making a secondary clicking sound. Both sounds come and go, but are getting more and more persistent. The sounds speed up and slow down depending on how fast I'm going, so I'm suspecting something like a wheel bearing may be fixing to die. I'm just praying that it holds together for the trip to the garage. The drive is only about 15 miles or so and I've put a couple of hundred miles on it since I noticed the sound...so if it holds together for a few more miles I'll be very happy.

Since it's the only working vehicle I have at the moment, I'm also worrying about how I'm going to get around if they have to keep it in the shop for more than a day. I'll probably need to borrow a vehicle from a friend or get a rental if that happens.

Healthwise, I'm feeling good. The wound from where I had the infected gland drained is still healing but not giving me any trouble. I just heard that the father of an old friend has been diagnosed with kidney cancer similar to mine. Praying for him and his family, I hope that things go as well for him as they have for me so far.

Update: It's friday afternoon and I just finished talking to the mechanic. The diagnosis is that the car needs new wheel bearings on both sides in front, brake pads, rotors, and alignment. I had also asked them to fix a leaky coolant hose and fix the wiper blades that stick up like a pair of goal posts. Par for the course, the repairs are going to be about $150 more than what is left in my savings account. I guess this is that "rainy day"  I was saving for...

No comments: