Saturday, July 25, 2015

A Trip To The Hardware Store

I was needing some plumbing parts a few days ago. Those of you that follow my blog know that plumbing is not a major part of my skill set. But the task before me was rather simple, so I took a trip to the local hardware store. The store is a large one that stocks everything from adhesives to zip ties and the plumbing supplies are all the way in the back of the store.

I’m not able to walk long distances without having to sit down and rest, so I dread visiting this store. I appreciate the stores that offer electrified shopping carts for the handicapped and rarely shop in places that do not. This particular store only offers two electric carts plus a couple of manual wheelchairs. This particular day both electric carts were in use. I needed the plumbing supplies, so I reluctantly decided to use one of the manual chairs.


While slowly pushing myself back to the plumbing section, I passed another patron riding one of the two electric carts. I didn’t say anything, but my mind was grumbling about it. Mostly it was about the store offering only two carts, but a little bit of my ire was directed at the other guy as well. I wasn’t a happy camper.


Moments later the other guy turned around and pulled up beside me. “Want to trade chairs?” he asked. I was dumbfounded. Why would this fellow want to push himself around in a rickety old manual wheelchair? It turned out that he was on his way to the checkouts and saw me struggling along. I eagerly traded carts with him and thanked him profusely. What a nice gesture! My bad mood instantly turned to one of happy gratitude.


Do kind things for others whenever you can. You'll feel better and you'll make their day a little brighter too.


"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."
-Matthew 25:35-40 

By the way, I finished my plumbing job without a problem. I think that's a first...

No comments: