Monday, February 27, 2012

Work, work, work...

Today was the first Monday that I didn't absolutely HAVE TO get up at 5 a.m. to get ready for work. I got up anyway. It didn't FEEL right sleeping in.

So, I've been busy today getting started on this new adventure.

I logged into ODJFS and started a new claim for unemployment benefits. I'm a little nervous since I now receive a small retirement income from two previous employers. The total amount is far less than the "official" poverty level, so hopefully it won't impact my benefits to severely.

My employer didn't specify exactly what the "Job Performance" issue was that precipitated my departure and "Job Performance" wasn't an option on the application...so I just said "Undisclosed." I'm praying that won't be an issue. One of my previous employers tried to get my unemployment benefits denied by lying about the reason for my departure many years ago. That's a nightmare I don't want to relive if possible.

I also contacted one of my retirement providers about starting health insurance with them. It's better than the policy that I had with my former employer, but also more expensive. The cost of the policy will probably eat up most (if not all) of my retirement benefits, so we'll be living on my wife's retirement check. Not having health insurance isn't an option since I have multiple health-issues and my medical expenses are pretty significant.

I still need to get a few more things nailed down, who knew being out of work could be so much work?

No comments: