Monday, May 26, 2014

Be Prepared

I spent much of this afternoon getting some things ready ahead of time for our church bulletin. I normally crank out a puzzle for every issue the night before I print them, but there's a pretty good chance I might not be able to do that for a while. I also schedule people to serve during worship services, so that needs to be done ahead of time as well.

I've got the people scheduling completed all the way to the end of the year, but the puzzles are going much slower. I'm only five weeks ahead right now. I figure I need to create twenty-four more puzzles to stretch to the new year. That's going to take a while since each puzzle takes about an hour to create.

There are so many other things I need to think about as well. We tend to forget that nobody lives forever and let important stuff slide. There are things that my family needs to know if I'm no longer around. I'm not planning to go any time soon, but the chances that happening have certainly increased. And its as good a time as any to start gathering all those important papers, deeds, vehicle titles, insurance policies, etc., together in one place. I hope I can find them all.

Another thing I need to look for is the paperwork for the riding lawnmower I purchased earlier this year. We've only cut the grass three times this year and suddenly the blade won't engage. The drive belt has probably slipped off a pulley. Not a big deal, but something like that shouldn't have happened this quickly. Not a good omen for this mower's future. It's starting to look like I made a wise choice in purchasing a service contract for it. If I recall correctly, there was a lemon clause in it. Four major service calls and they have to swap you for a new mower. I hope it doesn't come to that.

As for my health, I'm still feeling pretty good physically. My vitals (BP, pulse, O2 saturation, etc.) are all doing better than usual. The only thing that has been way out of normal range is my glucose level...but that almost always runs high. I need to be more proactive about that. It all boils down to too many carbs. Mentally, I'm sort of on autopilot. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other, trying not to be too grumpy.

Nine days until I see the lung guy.

Stupid cancer.

No comments: